We have just made it through the holidays, which means that our pants and our budgets might be a little tight. We still have a long winter ahead of us, so you’ll be running your furnace consistently for the next couple of months. If you are looking for a way to cut back on spending, consider improving your furnace’s efficiency.
There are numerous things that you can do at home to boost your heating efficiency, some of which won’t cost you a single cent! Maintaining efficiency is a great way to keep repair costs and utility bills low, which is always a plus. Below, we have provided a list of tips and tricks to boost efficiency and save you money.
Here’s What You Can Do:
- Use your curtains wisely: Opening your curtains on your south-facing windows is a great way to bring free heat into your home. It’s no secret that the sun is hot, so why not use it to warm your home? Just be sure to close your curtains at night to keep the heat inside.
- Take advantage of your ceiling fan: If you own a ceiling fan, use it! Turning your fan on in reverse can actually help circulate warm air throughout your home, so your furnace doesn’t have to work so hard.
- Program your thermostat: Setting the right temperature is important. Just by lowering the temperature by 10 -15 degrees at night or when you’re not home, you could save hundreds on annual heating costs. A programmable thermostat allows you to create a heating program based around your own personal schedule.
- Check and replace air filters: When the furnace’s air filter becomes too clogged, airflow into the furnace is restricted. This causes your system to work harder to circulate warm air throughout your home. Changing your air filter every 1-3 months is an effective way to maintain optimal efficiency.
- Make sure air ducts are sealed: Did you know that 20% of warm air can escape through faulty ducts? This is another issue that will cause your furnace to work harder, thus decreasing efficiency. Don’t grab a roll of duct tape for a DIY project, though. Professional duct sealing is the only way to go if you want to boost efficiency and effectively seal your ducts.
- Schedule annual tune-ups: Furnace maintenance in Everett, WA is the best way to boost heating efficiency. A professional HVAC technician can ensure that your system is running optimally by detecting and correcting minor issues before they become major. Plus, maintenance is key for extending the lifespan of your furnace.
G & S Heating, Cooling, & Electric offers furnace installation, maintenance, and repair services! When you hire us for your services, you can be sure that your furnace will run efficiently and effectively for a long time to come. So, whether you need a system upgrade or your current furnace needs repair, we can help you!