No one enjoys paying for heat that isn’t effectively heating your home, and one of the best ways to make sure you don’t do this is to have good insulation from top to bottom. Why is insulation so important? It blocks the transfer of heat, so during the winter months, it keeps your heat from escaping to the outdoors while also keeping the cold air from infiltrating. While it may be tempting to add insulation to your home yourself, it really is a job best handled by professionals. G&S Heating, Cooling & Electrical, Inc., has been helping customers since 1977 with all their heating and indoor quality needs, so if you need help with your insulation, call us today.
Understanding Heat Flow
To understand how insulation slows heat transfer, you need to understand the 3 ways that heat can flow in your home:
- Conduction – the way heat moves through materials
- Convection – how heat moves through liquids and gases
- Radiant – heat that travels in a straight line and heats any solid object capable of absorbing the heat
Heat will travel through your home in each of these three ways, and the job of insulation is to slow this transfer. Some types of insulation are better at slowing certain kinds of heat over others, so many homeowners will use a combination of insulation types to properly insulate their homes.
Benefits of Good Insulation
As we’ve discussed, good insulation is critical for energy efficiency. But there are additional benefits that are also important:
- Better comfort – reducing your heat loss helps make your indoors more comfortable
- Reduction in noise levels – insulation helps block sound both between rooms and from the outside
- Good for the environment – using the proper amount of insulation helps reduce your energy usage
As we head toward winter, now is the perfect time to see of your insulation levels are where they need to be for your home and heating system. Call G&S Heating, Cooling & Electrical, Inc., today and schedule heating service in Lynnwood with one of our HVAC installation experts.