The circuit breaker is one of the most important pieces of equipment in your home. It is something of a central hub for your entire electrical system, as it distributes power to the various circuits throughout your living space. In addition to this important process, your circuit breaker in North Seattle is also an important safety measure. When there is an unsafe current entering a circuit, your circuit breaker is responsible for breaking that circuit by tripping its designated breaker. Obviously, any signs of trouble with your circuit breaker must be taken very seriously. Consider the following information, and contact G & S Heating Cooling & Electric to schedule any circuit breaker services that you may need to keep your electrical system safe and convenient.
Frequently Tripping Breakers
You can expect to reset tripped breakers from time to time in your home. However, you really shouldn’t be doing so every day, let alone at multiple points throughout the day. If you are concerned that your circuit breaker is tripping breakers too frequently, let us know. It may be that you have an appliance or system that is overloading the circuit that it’s on, and that your breaker is working properly. However, it is also possible that your circuit breaker is compromised and requires repairs.
Breakers Are Hot to the Touch
When you reset your circuit breakers, or touch them for any reason, they should not feel hot to the touch. If your circuit breakers are hot, then there may be a problem with the wiring behind them. This can be a serious fire hazard, and damaged wiring also introduces the risk of electric shock, or even electrocution. Replacing wiring or your full circuit breaker may be necessary.
Visible Damage, Including Burn Marks
Any visible signs of damage to your circuit breaker, included rust and corrosion, or even burn marks on the breaker panel, are grounds for replacement. Electricity is, undoubtedly, one of the greatest resources that modern homeowners enjoy. Make sure that you are able to use it safely and reliably in your home.